Press release – On March 29 2022, the Hawkesbury Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) in partnership with the Hawkesbury Police Service Board, held a Media Conference to introduce the POSITIVE TICKETING program, where if an officer notices a youth (16 years old or younger) doing random acts of kindness and/or exhibiting positive behaviour, they can issue a POSITIVE TICKET to recognise the youth for outstanding acts or behaviour. The tickets bearing the OPP logo were redeemable at the Hawkesbury OPP detachment, but now the officers will give the $5.00 gift card to a local restaurant, directly to the youth.The officer gathers basic information for report purposes.
A youth may receive a « Positive Ticket » from an officer for any number of positive behaviours:
- to recognize a youth for practicing personal safety such as wearing bicycle helmets;
- doing various good deeds;
- participating in community activities;
- Demonstrating community pride e.g.: picking up trash;
- deterring crime or observing school crossing rules; or
- as an « icebreaker » to establish a rapport with kids in their patrol area